Women in the aviation sector face several challenges. There are many prospects for women in the Indian aviation industry, despite the many difficulties. In this blog, we will tell you about the roles and impact of women in the aviation sector on society.
Significant roles of women in the aviation sector
- Since many years ago, women have played a prominent part in the aviation sector. Women are the majority in both numbers and presence in the aviation industry.
- Women naturally adapt to rigid schedules, and demanding work environments are the factors contributing to their presence in the Indian aviation industry. Female pilots are no exception either, as they are breaking many new barriers in aviation.
- As the aviation sector grows and requires more competent pilots, the need for female pilots has skyrocketed, making them one of the most sought-after professions in this sector. This demand is only expected to increase as airlines have begun hiring more women to diversify their staff.
- The share of female pilots and cabin crew has increased in recent years, marking significant progress for women in the Indian aviation industry. This is partly a result of the aviation industry’s mergers and consolidations, which have given women new career prospects in engineering and manufacturing. India’s aviation sector is expected to grow to be the third-largest in the world in the coming years, creating more opportunities for women.
- Female pilots are also essential for a country’s aviation sector development, especially regarding gender parity in civil aviation. Their involvement will help create a safe atmosphere for both men and women aviators alike.
- The government Scheme also encourages more female investors in the aviation sector. This program gives female-owned and -operated aviation-related enterprises a return on investment of up to 10%. Consequently, more women are playing an important role in the field of market research and data analysis in the aviation sector.
Challenges faced by women in the Indian aviation industry
Women are underrepresented in a number of sectors in the aviation sector, which causes a talent and skill gap in the industry. This has led to a dearth of women in aviation engineering and aviation operations jobs, which limits their scope for professional development.
As fewer women than men enter the airline industry, there is a gender disparity in the sector.
The low representation of women in the aviation industry has been linked to systemic gender bias and occupational segregation. These elements have reduced the chances for women to progress in the aviation sector.
Also, there have been reports of discrimination and sexual harassment at work, creating an undesirable working environment for female employees. Also, top management does not mentor or encourage women, which makes it challenging for them to advance in their jobs.
With more women entering aviation industry positions and more open roles in the sector being created for them, the gender gap within aviation could be reduced over time.
Possibilities available to women in the aviation industry
Women in the aviation sector significantly influence the advancement of the aviation sector. Females have been able to gradually enter the aviation sector and contribute significantly to it.
Women pilots play a vital role in ensuring gender equality in aviation. Besides, women engineers, air hostesses, and managers are also making a mark in aviation. There are numerous options available to women in the aviation industry, so they shouldn’t generally be afraid to pursue one.
The aviation industry provides a wide range of career options for women and is seen as a booming sector with excellent prospects. Besides, women can make a significant contribution to the growth of aviation by pursuing this field. There is therefore no reason why women shouldn’t pursue professions in aviation.
Impact of women in the aviation industry on society
The Indian aviation industry has benefited immensely from the contributions of women. Women greatly aided the development of aviation in the nation. Women’s increased employment in the aviation sector, notably in the disciplines of air ticketing and air hostess, has had a significant positive impact on the sector in a number of ways.
This has led to a change in culture and perspective toward aviation among women. The presence of women has encouraged them to explore new vistas of aviation and gain confidence and experience. This is also helping to increase female awareness about aviation, which is important for its development.
Thus, it can be seen that women have brought a new dimension to aviation in India. The industry has benefited immensely from their contributions and is rapidly progressing with their involvement.
In conclusion, there has been substantial progress for women in aviation during the last few decades. Even though there is no denying that more has to be done, the aviation industry has been a pioneer in assisting women and giving them a fair opportunity in the aviation field.
The need for competent expertise in aviation and aviation technology increases along with the general aviation industry. Women are playing an increasingly important role in the enormous transition that is now taking place in the aviation industry. If we overlooked any additional significant roles for women in aviation, please comment below!
Suggested Reading: Why women should pursue airline careers